Re: UK punctuation conventions

Subject: Re: UK punctuation conventions
From: David Handy <davidh -at- automsoft -dot- com>
To: "Techwhirl (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:44:07 -0000

Bill,
It would not be the first time I saw such comma usage on this side of the
pond (I write from Ireland) but it's still incorrect. The original author
apparently wants to indicate that the frizzlebutser comes as standard and
thinks that a punctuated pause is necessary too. The logic is good, the
punctuation not so good. I think your options include the following:

1. The ACME frizzlebutser allows you to connect ...
2. The ACME frizzlebutser (supplied) allows you to connect...
3. The ACME frizzlebutser allows you to connect ... The frizzlebuster is
supplied as standard with the scadwanger.

or words to that effect.

dh