RE: Contracting and Flexibility

Subject: RE: Contracting and Flexibility
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: "Tony G. Rocco" <tony -at- roundpeg -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:20:05 -0500

I submit an "Unqualified "YES"!"

Having been a contractor/consultant for the past 11 years (1Mar89 - present)
I have found that I have enjoyed all of the items that you mention.

However, there are times of "feast and famine". You have to remember that
as a contractor/consultant you are an 'independent business person' and that
if you are not working 'the store is closed.'

I am currently working as a 'direct-hire' (W-2, with benefits). But, I KNOW
that I am here 'with a two-week' notice in my hand. I know that if my
talents and expertise are no longer of value to my employer, 'I'm history'.

This is the same as EVERYONE in the workplace. However,
contractor's/consultant's KNOW, going in, that their tenure is tenuous at
best. (I.e., fixed length contracts, no more money to pay outside people,
etc.)

Also, a contractor/consultant is expected to produce a 'product' and when
the product is delivered, you're gone. Unless you negotiate more work, and
more time.

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant
VGS, Inc.

"The thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed in my portion of this email
are mine and mine alone.  They are not the thoughts, ideas, and/or
opinions of any past, present, or future employers, or any group that I
might belong to."