Re: Don't be a tool

Subject: Re: Don't be a tool
From: Mike Starr <writstar -at- wi -dot- net>
To: rob -at- standarddocument -dot- com (Rob Lawrence), techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 21:56:20 -0600

In article <0ysy4 -dot- 1204$cg4 -dot- 64255 -at- news4 -dot- giganews -dot- com>, you say...
> This was inspired by Jason Czekalski's post under the now-bloated "Real
> Offense" thread.
>
> Jason asks a good question: why are TWs obsessed with tools and tool
> knowledge? When it comes to authoring tools, there are only four or five
> core concepts: write, edit, format, link, index . . . All tools perform
> some variation on these concepts, and mostly in similar ways. Once you
> understand the concepts, it will take three days, tops, to use any tool
> effectively. The hard part of the job is mastering the flow of information
> on a project and getting your work done in a timely and effective manner.

Well, one of my stock responses to recruiters who call me and ask if I
know such-and-such tool (I do) is to ask them if they had a client who
wanted a truck driver to drive a Peterbuilt and the recruiter just
happened to have a driver who had years of experience driving a Kenworth,
they'd submit the driver, no question about it.

DTP tools and HATs and graphics tools are like trucks; if you know how to
pilot one, you can pretty much pilot 'em all.

Mike

--
Mike Starr - WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Technical Illustrator