RE: punctuation and procedure titles...

Subject: RE: punctuation and procedure titles...
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:27:52 -0700

re: colons in them

Tom Murrell correctly, I believe, pompously pontificates "How you punctuate
your lists is a choice you get to make as a writer." He additionally, again
correctly in my view, urges consistency. My contribution to this discussion
is that in technical writing--the ostensible subject here rather than
college, English lit, or other manifestations of the unreal world--I'm in
the camp "less is more." Colons in procedure titles are just noise, easily
and usefully omitted. They're consuming some of your valuable white space,
and I say choose to conserve white space. Consistently. Sans serif font,
too.