Re: Format for Writing Samples

Subject: Re: Format for Writing Samples
From: Becca Price <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Craig Branham <branhacc -at- slu -dot- edu>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 04:33:35 -0800 (PST)

--- Craig Branham <branhacc -at- slu -dot- edu> wrote:
> Can someone suggest how best to offer writing
> samples to prospective
> employers? Any suggestions about, for example, how
> long samples should be

well, I can tell you what I do, Craig. It seems to
work for me, at least.

My samples are generally about 3 pages long, certainly
no longer. In addition, clipped to each sample is a 1
paragraph statement of why that sample was chosen:
what the particular problem was that the document
presented, and how the writing in the sample solved
the problem, for example.

One sample is simply one page from a longer document,
with one paragraph being highlighted as the sample in
question. It addresses a truly eggregious bug that
*could not* be fixed before release, and manages to
tell people how to work around it without admitting
that it's a bug or that it posed a problem. (I was
very proud of that paragraph!)

I have a number of these samples (some as much as 10
years old, I admit), and I tailor which samples I show
to my perception of the needs of the job for which I'm
interviewing.

-Becca

=====
http://im.yahoo.com