RE: Wanted: Dumb Tech-Writer Stories

Subject: RE: Wanted: Dumb Tech-Writer Stories
From: Robert Heath <rheath -at- eGain -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 17:18:57 -0800

My coworker at my last job told me this one:

At her previous company, she came on board about seven months before the
next version of the flagship product was due to be released. She had never
done tech writing before, but was one of only two tech writers at the
company. She after seven months, she had contributed several tech docs and
produced an online help system, learning RoboHelp, writing, and how to deal
with SMEs in the process. She put much of herself into her work, going into
the office some mornings at four, working a good number of weekends. At the
end of the seven months, she had reason to be proud of what she had done.

During the ceremonial offering of the golden CD to the CEO of this small
start-up, one of the senior product managers gave a speech in which he
praised "everyone" on the team who had given their all and so on. My friend,
who had tears in her eyes, said that he was going to make her cry.

"I wasn't talking about you," the manager said, in front of the rest of the
team.