Re: USAGE: stringified

Subject: Re: USAGE: stringified
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <susan-gallagher -at- vertel -dot- com>
To: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 18:08:09 -0800

At 10:24 AM 2/29/00 +0000, Carnall, Jane wrote:

>...I found many references to
>"stringified" and "stringify", for example "stringified full entity names".

>...From context, it appears to mean an entity name that has become a string
>(stringified), or the process of turning an entity name into a string (to
>stringify).
>
>Does anyone else have info on how long this coinage has been in use, and how
>wide its acceptance is?

Idunno how long the expression has been in use, but in my little corner
of the planet, it's common and widely accepted. I document CORBA-compliant
software tools and I've included a small excerpt from the OMG's CORBA spec
as an example of the word's use. (Hey, I didn't say it wasn't ugly!)

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher
susan-gallagher -at- vertel -dot- com

------- From the CORBA Specification ----------------
------- see www.omg.org for more info ---------------

CORBA V2.3 An Information Model for Object References June 1999 13-21

13.6.6 Stringified Object References

Object references can be ?stringified? (turned into an external string
form) by
the ORB::object_to_string operation, and then ?destringified? (turned back
into
a programming environment?s object reference representation) using the
ORB::string_to_object operation..

There can be a variety of reasons why being able to parse this string form
might not help make an invocation on the original object reference:

? Identifiers embedded in the string form can belong to a different domain
than
the
ORB attempting to destringify the object reference.

? The ORBs in question might not share a network protocol, or be connected.

? Security constraints may be placed on object reference destringification.

Nonetheless, there is utility in having a defined way for ORBs to generate and
parse stringified IORs, so that in some cases an object reference stringified
by one ORB could be destringified by another.

To allow a stringified object reference to be internalized by what may be a
different ORB, a stringified IOR representation is specified. This
representation instead establishes that ORBs could parse stringified object
references using that format. This helps address the problem of bootstrapping,
allowing programs to obtain and use object references, even from different
ORBs.

The following is the representation of the stringified (externalized) IOR:

<...>