Re: Is indenting subheadings and subtext current practice? Is it useful?

Subject: Re: Is indenting subheadings and subtext current practice? Is it useful?
From: "Jane Bergen" <jbergen1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Jennifer Laiks" <jlaiks -at- prioritycall -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 21:58:20 -0600

I'm not sure what you mean by "indenting headings" -- sounds like
you're talking about this:

Heading One
TEXT
Heading Two
TEXT
etc.

I think the "standard" (as if one really existed) is that the text is
one indention, usually with a wide left margin, and the headings
project leftward into that wide margin ( called "left-hanging
headings"):

Heading One
Heading Two
Heading Three
Heading Four
TEXT

(Hard to tell how the alignment in this email message is going to end
up on everyone's monitor screen)Going beyone four heading levels is
overdoing it for your reader in most cases. The beauty of the above
arrangement is that reader can quickly skim the left-hand headings to
find information. It may not be fancy but it works for the reader.

Jane Bergen