Re: Is indenting subheadings and subtext current practice? Is it useful?

Subject: Re: Is indenting subheadings and subtext current practice? Is it useful?
From: "Nancy E. Kaminski" <nancykam -at- mediaone -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:10:59 -0600

From: Jennifer Laiks <jlaiks -at- prioritycall -dot- com>

> We were wondering if most people indent different levels of text? Is it
> more current to just use different sizes of headers? Has anyone seen
> articles/statistics on what degree of indentation makes text clearer for
> readers?

We don't. We use a basic format that includes sideheads. Level 1 headings
span the sidehead area and text. Level 2 headings do not span the sidehead
area. Level 3 headings (and that's the lowest we go) are sideheads. The
heading fonts are of graduated size, and the Level 1 and 2 have different
amounts of space above them.

This way we have only one set of styles to format the text. Much easier on
the template user, and it's a nice, readable look.

I would think that indenting to five levels wouldn't leave much space for
text. How wide is that fifth level?

Nancy E. Kaminski , Technical Writer/Editor
Fairview Health Services, Minneapolis, MN USA
(612) 672-6882 phone, (612) 672-6083 fax
nkamins1 -at- fairview -dot- org | nancykam -at- mediaone -dot- net
"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so." -- Douglas Adams