Help! Need official support for non-standard capitalization

Subject: Help! Need official support for non-standard capitalization
From: anne -at- visi -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:14:30 -0600 (CST)

I need some help to challenge the status quo on the capitalization of
a company name.

I just started a job with e.Thingummy, Inc. (Note: names have been
changed to protect the innocent...)

However, in marketing materials and white papers, the current PR firm
uses "E.Thingummy" when the company name starts a sentence.

I'm concerned about the confusion factor of this capitalization shift,
but was told that this capitalization conforms to the New York Times'
standards.

Can anyone help provide a reference to any respected standard-setting
body that might allow the preservation of an initial lower-case letter
in a company name?

(If I'm going to start by making waves, I'd like to have something
official to back me up...)

Many thanks,
Anne Chenette
anne -at- visi -dot- com