RE: Have you seen this GUI element?--SUMMARY

Subject: RE: Have you seen this GUI element?--SUMMARY
From: Peterson Karen <Peterson_Karen -at- prc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L a list for all technical communication issues (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:01:01 -0500

Thank you to everyone who responded so quickly. My mysterious sighting of an
ellipsis replacing the arrow in a drop-down list was confirmed. Some people
have not encountered this button, but those who had said it pops up another
window that allows the users to select multiple values.

Our reason for using it is to allow users the choice of (a) selecting
multiple values from a very long list or a tree or (b) typing their own
value.

For documentation, using "Three Dots button", "Browse button", "ellipsis
button", or a picture of the button were suggested.

I checked the Windows UI book (1999), but I could not find any reference to
this button. If anyone does, I and other list members appreciate a page
reference or link to the online version.

Thank you very much,
Karen
"The Almightly Lecturer, by displaying the principles of science in the
structure of the universe, has invited man to study and to imitation."
--Thomas Paine

Karen Peterson
Peterson_Karen -at- prc -dot- com
610.260.2644