RE: Working for a liar

Subject: RE: Working for a liar
From: Katav <katav -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:25:24 -0800 (PST)

Two things are SOP* when I get ready to relocate:

1. get a recommendation from The Boss - even if I have
to write it for the boss' signature

2. get recommendations from co-workers; as a employer
I rely as heavily on these as I do from managers (who
may/may not know how to manage) ... besides, these
give me a clue as to how well the candidate got along
with the troops.

(Flip side: as a manager movin' on, I sometimes ask my
troops for recommendations -- smart interviewers may
ask them how well I manage.)

The bottom line for all "requests for recommendation"
is that you know (have reason to believe) what the
person will say about you -- if less than flattering,
you may be able to steer interviewers away from that
person.

--- Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com> wrote:
> It just occurred to me that even if you have left a
> company, which is
> what the majority of advice seems to be here, a liar
> can effectively
> present your contributions to the company as
> meaningless.

<snip>

> the candidate had
> asked the VP (the liar) why there had been such a
> turn-over in the
> Documentation department. He told her that the three
> of us were "not up
> to snuff" and that "if we hadn't resigned, we were
> going to be asked to
> leave."
>
> Paul Hanson

=====
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

http://im.yahoo.com