Updating copyright information?

Subject: Updating copyright information?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 11:56:01 -0500

Thomas Murrell wondered <<... as we begin to do more and more maintenance
the question is arising as to when and whether we update document copyrights
when we update a document.>>

The Chicago Manual of Style suggests that each new edition (i.e., each
revised version, not just a reprinting of an unmodified older version)
should get its own copyright date. In addition, you should list the years of
previous editions (e.g., "Copyright 1994-1999"), and if you're interested in
maintaining multiple versions of the docs, you should add a line such as
"Third Edition published 19XX" to uniquely identify each version.

--Geoff Hart, Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"The paperless office will arrive when the paperless toilet
arrives."--Matthew Stevens