Re: Online Help or just Help?/e-training?

Subject: Re: Online Help or just Help?/e-training?
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 08:07:21 -0700

re: The average employer (and lower) in any establishment would probably
not benefit from e-training as much; they'd probably need the one-on-one
contact with an instructor, whether it's in a classroom environment or in a
tutorial setting. What do you all think of this?

(I think the author of the referenced statement meant "employee" rather than
"employer," but it may not matter.) It certainly appears the trends are to
more everything online--see Ford Motor and Delta Air providing home PCs for
their employees. See everything else. A lot of jobs themselves these days
have computer components, and online help there seems a natural. I think it
possible the "one-on-one" aspect can come from just networking with
coworkers. And everyone has to keep up with their kids. Instructor-led
training is usually much more expensive than e-learning, and the question
then becomes comparing results. There is also the tendency to think
classroom handouts will serve as future reference material--something that
is easier imagined than accomplished. I like the following short article on
this: http://www.usatoday.com/money/tech/mtech061.htm And if you want to
join another list more focused on training, see http://www.masie.com/