RE: Converting to text

Subject: RE: Converting to text
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:50:43 -0500

Ruth Lundquist wants to convert formatted documentation into "readable
text," apparently preserving all of her formatting--columns, tables, tabbed
pseudo-tables, etc. The need appears to be to import the text into a very
old legacy mainframe that can only use text screens for display/output.

I don't think you can get there from here. My initial reaction was to try
Saving As HTML. Now, Word's Save As HTML is not very good, in my not so
humble opinion, but to get Word into text while preserving tables, for
example, that might just work.

However, reading further into the mail convinced me that what you need to do
is redo the documents in text, manually creating the table looks that you
want with a monospace font and liberal use of the space bar. I just don't
see how you can create text doing a Save As any other way given the
constraints you have.

But I'll be watching this thread to learn what others come up with. I'm an
old dog, but I'm still willing to learn new tricks.

Tom Murrell