Re: How do I charge My client?

Subject: Re: How do I charge My client?
From: "Marc A. Santacroce" <epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: BSouthernComfort -at- aol -dot- com, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 09:41:44 -0800

Brian, I don't understand. Did your rate, or the project budget come up during your negotiations before you were 'hired'? If not, you'd better get this worked out before you strike a key, or lift a pen.

Unless you (and your client) have a very good estimate of how long the project will take, I would stay away from a fixed bid. (You'll end up eating anything that goes over time and budget.)

You need to seriously think about what you need to make, and compare that to the going rate.

If you don't have a contract, start with theirs, ask to see it, suggest any amendments. You might add a provision for how and when you bill, when they pay, whether you can keep samples for a portfolio, whether there is a non-compete clause prohibiting you from working in the same industry for xxx months, whether you can work off-site, who provides the computer and software, confirm you are an independent (1099) contractor, agree upon the deliverables. There'smore, but those are the quickies that come to mind this Saturday morning.

Best wishes,

Marc

Greetings Everyone,

I was recently hired as an independent contractor to document software for a
video game. This is my very first contracting position.

How do I approach that all-important, but uncomfortable subject of money?
What should I charge? Should I charge my client by the hour. Or should I
charge by the project? What conditions should I spell out in a contract?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thank You.

Sincerely,

Brian South

Marc A. Santacroce

Senior Technical Writer
ePubs, Inc.

"I write, I train; either way you learn."