Re: Online help advice needed

Subject: Re: Online help advice needed
From: "Dan Roberts" <droberts63 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 09:44:08 -0500

well, I guess the first question might be: what kind of online help do you
need in the programs you use?
Would your needs then apply to the program's users?

now, on with the theoretical blathering <g>....
I'd imagine there'd be 3 major types of information that could go into
online help: conceptual stuff (what is a widget?), tasks and procedures (how
to add a widget), and dialog or field-level information (what am I supposed
to put in this field, and what are all these buttons for?).

Imho, dialog/field level help should do more than simply reiterate the
options for the field; it should tell me the ramifications of my choices.
And also, imho, online should be more weighted with immediate use
information, than with high-level conceptual information.

But I'm probably a bit biased, since my first online project was for an
in-house sales force automation tool used by our sales reps while on the
road and at customer sites. They couldn't lug around a giant manual, but
needed instructions pretty immediately.