FW: HTML authoring tool for creating HTML Company Newsletter

Subject: FW: HTML authoring tool for creating HTML Company Newsletter
From: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- oee -dot- com>
To: "TechWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 08:10:27 -0500

Andriene.

The difficulty in creating columns is a limitation of HTML itself
rather than any tool. The only way to do columns is with tables.

And for what it's worth, here's my opinion: columns as done in
print newsletters, where text flows from one column down
then up to another, don't really translate well to on-screen viewing,
That requires the viewer to scroll down, then up...with the text
in the next column distractingly available to the eye.

Looking around the web, I find most pages that present text meant
to be read (as opposed to a whole bunch of links) show the
text in a single column, with perhaps call-outs in the "column"
to one side. For an example, take a look at Aquent Magazine
(http://www.aquentmagazine.com/home.html)
Their front page uses columns for the "table of contents,"
(done with tables). Once you jump to an article, it is
a single long column of text.

Jessica N. Lange mailto:jlange -at- oee -dot- com
Technical Communicator, Ohio Electronic Engravers, Inc.