RE: W2 vs 1099

Subject: RE: W2 vs 1099
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:31:05 -0500

There is one other circumstance that a contract Technical Writer can
encounter in the U. S. and that is the situation in which you are not any
kind of an employee.

The first contract job I did, I was a subcontractor to a firm that itself
had a contract with a major telecommunications company. I submitted
invoices based on my hours worked every two weeks, and I was paid the amount
I invoiced.

When the time came for W-2s and 1099s to be delivered, I didn't get
anything. When I inquired, I learned that I would get nothing. Somehow I
assumed that since I wasn't a W-2 employee, I would get a 1099. That wasn't
so.

Now I did take care of my tax liability as the year went along, so I didn't
suddenly have this monster liability (plus penalties for not having paid the
appropriate taxes quarterly), but it was a good object lesson for me. To
wit, find out what you can expect in the way of documentation for your
contract work.

Just setting the record straight.

Tom Murrell