Estimating time needed for a project

Subject: Estimating time needed for a project
From: Robert Heath <rheath -at- eGain -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:21:14 -0800

Hello,

The Pubs team to which I belong has been made responsible for taking a
collection of docs from our engineers and assembling them into two
complementary programmer's guides. We won't receive the docs until Monday or
so of next week and the guides are due on the 29th of this month. Our
engineers typically write and structure their docs pretty poorly, so I know
there will be much effort involved in editing these. I know it is
unrealistic to produce anything of substantial quality, or perhaps anything
beyond a Level 0 doc, according to JoAnn Hackos' way of measuring. However,
our team does not currently use any means of estimating the overall time
needed for a project. If any of you have been involved in a project such as
this, would you help me form a realistic estimate of the time it needs? I
think we desperately need some method of estimation for our future projects
so we're not given more than we can handle.

Thanks,
Robert