RE: Chunking information (Was: multiple TWs for a project)

Subject: RE: Chunking information (Was: multiple TWs for a project)
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Jason Willebeek-LeMair'" <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:23:34 -0500

Jason, et al:

Which is where other types of media can come in very handy. For hardware
assembly, Packard Bell and others found that a poster depicting the steps
with the related items worked extremely well (took me all of 10 minutes to
assemble my very first home computer back in 1994). I had it to refer to
when I moved, but it didn't take up much space on the bookshelves. Chunking
the information can be useful in figuring out how to distribute it!

For software, one-time or infrequent tasks are best served by a
wizard--anything that doesn't need to be stored in short-term (or long-term
for that matter) memory. You still ought to chunk it to figure out how much
can get crammed into a single step.

What some call chunking might better be termed task analysis and document
planning!

Connie Giordano