RE: Is the generic "you" implied in error messages?

Subject: RE: Is the generic "you" implied in error messages?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'David Castro'" <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 16:09:22 -0500

David,

What a great question! It's ironic that many our colleagues in the software
development arena (including me) have considered this in developing GUI. We
advocate active verb tense, yet in one of the few places where it has
immediate impact on the end user, we rarely use it. In light of the fact
that so many software applications have multi-tiered security built in, it
could very easily be true that one particular "you" couldn't delete
something while another could.

I'd love to know if anyone who has dealt with formal usability testing has
run across this issue, and how you resolved it.

Connie