OT: TW Contract Limbo

Subject: OT: TW Contract Limbo
From: PBW <pbw3172 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:18:12 -0800 (PST)

This is the first time I have written to the
come through everyday. I also posted my question
across lists so please excuse me if you get this
twice. I would like to ask your opinion on handling a
contract technical writing position.

I have been a W-2 contract Technical Writer with a
client for over two years now. My company came to me
recently with an opportunity to start a contract with
a new client that is everything I would like to do:
web design, technical writing, editing, project
management, etc.

This position will also increase my career goals and
objectives.I have grown out of my current position and
do notwant to burn any bridges. My contract expires
here in June 2000. The new position will require me
to start the first of March.

How do you handle leaving a contract before it is
actually over with or is this totally unethical? This
is my first and only contract job, and I have not had
the experience of negotiating or changing during a
contract before.

I would like to leave gracefully and on good terms,
but I also do not want to pass up an 'opportunity of a
lifetime'.

Any advice is appreciated onlist or off!

PBW
http://im.yahoo.com