RE: History of TW before the PC and the Internet

Subject: RE: History of TW before the PC and the Internet
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: "Curtis Brautigam" <curtisb -at- nurserysupplies -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:30:22 -0500

Wow, what a question to ask...

1) Technical writers have always been around.

It is just that the work to be done was almost always 'just part of the
job'. The ability of the PC environment to
bring the "publishing of documents" to the individual desktop has helped to
enable
the Technical Writer career area to grow.

The noticeable trait of technical writers (IMHO) is their capability to want
to be
involved in all aspects of the documentation business. They'll do what it
takes
.. whatever that might be... to understand and document (the product).
Other career areas seem to want to specialize in one thing, and one thing
only,
and not be concerned with the documentation. (this is my own observation,
after many years.

2) Equipment

In the early days (1970's), you documented your own stuff,

I have been doing technical documentation for the past 30 years, in one
capacity or another.

(in the 1970's) Equipment - Remington, Underwood, etc, typewriters.
(in the early 1980's) Equipment - CPT, Wang, key punches (with cards), line
editors on mainframes,
connections to typesetting machines. (Some of the 'connections' were 'hand
the hardcopy to the typesetter'
and they rekeyed the information.
(in the later 1980's and through the 1990's) PC's with their advancing
capabilities (Visicalc, Multimate, Word 2.0 through Office 2000)

I'll stop here and let the thread continue.

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant
VGS, Inc.

"The thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed in my portion of this email
are mine and mine alone. They are not the thoughts, ideas, and/or opinions
of any past, present, or future employers, or any group that I might belong
to."

.. snip, snip ...