FW: Using Lotus Notes for Documentation?

Subject: FW: Using Lotus Notes for Documentation?
From: David Chisma <dchisma -at- retaildir -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 13:25:55 +1100

Dave Chisma wrote:

I've been at a couple of companies that used Notes. One is Westinghouse
Signals Australia http://www.westsig.com.au/ who use Notes to generate a
list of product data sheets (in PDF format).

By the time I left Westinghouse, some staff were using Notes to create
documents, but nothing as complicated as a manual.

Another company I worked for had taken the leap to make all of their
documents 'Notes' documents, and for them, it was a disaster. A year or so
later, by the time they abandoned the project, nobody could access the work
they had saved in Notes. As I understand it (not very well), documents get
saved in a Notes database. If you lose your resident Notes expert, or let
your license lapse, you're screwed because no-one can retrieve the
documents. (Or so they claimed.)

Lotus experts make it look easy and wonderful. But sometimes I wonder if
that's not a way to ensure their own job-security.

David Chisma
Technical Writer
Retail Directions Group
dchisma -at- retaildir -dot- com -dot- au