Re: Contract opening: Rapid-Writing Router Writer Resumes Requested

Subject: Re: Contract opening: Rapid-Writing Router Writer Resumes Requested
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- netcom -dot- com>
To: artc -at- northchurch -dot- net
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:19:09 -0800 (PST)

Campbell, Art writes:
> I'm looking for an experienced contractor (may turn into regular gig) with
> hands-on router/routing experience to produce a CLI command reference for
> a high-end, powerful, Cisco work-alike positioned as an edge access device.

Good luck. Something tells me you're going to have a tough time
filling this position. Experienced Cisco router guys are pretty tough
to find to begin with. Finding one who's willing or interested in
taking a job writing a manual for a lookalike product (and something
tells me you're not likely going to be offering a tech writer a rate
that's competitive with router consulting rates) is going to be even
harder. You'd be better off looking for a domain expert for the
hands-on experience part and finding a good writer with techie
leanings to tackle the writing part.

One personal bit of advice. Cisco routers use a funky cable for
the console interface. If your product uses something similar, I
strongly suggest you include an appendix on cable manufacture in your
troubleshooting guide. There's nothing like being stuck in the
network center at 4am on sunday morning with a router that's refusing
to answer, and not being able to find the #$%^ proprietary cable you
need to get console access. Constructing most such cables, on the
other hand, is fairly trivial with the right tools.

(Then you phone the manufacturer and they say, "Sure, call our day
office on monday and we'll get you a new one in two business days..."
Let's see, that's _WEDNESDAY_! Important tip, keep your funky special
cables and all pertinent documentation (plus license numbers, proof of
purchase, etc), in a safe, secure place. Not to mention a disk backup
of the router confit and and a up-to-date printout!

Of course, if we're going to talk about sane precautions, it's
time to talk about hot backups for critical equipment...

Good luck!

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- netcom -dot- com