Re: rate question

Subject: Re: rate question
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 14:29:08 -0500

You don't say what part of the country, or world, you are in. There are
regional variations. However, I'm not sure "the going rate" is an issue
here.

If, as you suggest, you really don't want the work but are unwilling to turn
your neighbor away for that reason alone, name a very large price. If I
were to do freelance editing, I would charge no less that $50/hour. If I
didn't want the work, I would name a price of $100/hour. If someone is
willing to pay that price, I would insist on a retainer up front (if I
didn't want the work) equal to half what the total contract would be
estimated to cost. If I get that far, I would probably take the job; the
money's too good to pass up.

But that's just me. I never denied I was easy, but I'm NOT cheap. (So
there.)

Tom Murrell