Re: FWD: Getting out of a bad situation

Subject: Re: FWD: Getting out of a bad situation
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- netcom -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 09:32:51 -0800 (PST)

> > can figure out what the reason for the conflict
> with your second boss was.

> Such situations are rarely one-sided. After
> failing to survive
> the fifth reorganization in three years as my first
> employer tripled
> in size, I had misgivings about exactly what
> contributed to my
> departure. I didn't feel my job performance
> reflected my true
> capabilities, but I also felt that the cause was not
> entirely within
> me.

Let me describe a past situation.

I worked in a group of about 12 writers at a telecom
company, where because particularly strong techwriters
who know Frame well are difficult to find, had writers
of all different levels of expertise.

The department was taken over by a different manager,
who within a few days of coming in, made a number of
policy changes.

To those of mediocre skills, the policies were not
that offensive. However, to the 3 or so highly
experienced/motivated writers (me one of them), the
policies were not appropriate, and after a couple of
useless meetings, prompted me to search for a
replacement position (which I found within 2 days at
more than $10 per hour higher rate).

It turns out that during the transition from one
manager to another, resumes that had been forwarded to
the new manager were never looked at and the new
manager based his opinion of the group on a couple of
writers representive of the mediocre group.

Unfortunately, by the time I'd realized what had
happened, I'd interviewed and found the above
mentioned position.

Poor management? Sure
Could it have been avoided? Maybe if on the first day,
we had marched in with out credentials.

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout."
http://im.yahoo.com