Re: Mac/Window button names

Subject: Re: Mac/Window button names
From: Christi Carew <christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM>
To: Arthur Schweke <tekritelist -at- hotmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 16:22:52 -0800

on 2/2/00 1:07 PM, Arthur Schweke at tekritelist -at- hotmail -dot- com wrote:
> I would use the Windows button names only. PC users outnumber MAC users and
> MAC users are intelligent enough to know that SAVE is the same as OK. If in
> doubt use a back slash.

As a Mac advocate and user, I would not recommend this. If I were to see
"Click the Save button." and there were only an "OK button", I'd probably
figure it out, but I'd wonder what was missing. I would definitely lessen my
degree of confidence in the material.

> Hi All,Do any of you document cross-platform software that uses different
> button
> names depending on what platform the user has? For example, OK and Cancel
> buttons in Windows may be called Save and Cancel on the Mac.

> Some ideas I have are to use either a slash or parenthesis to include both
> button names in the same step:
>1. Click the OK/Save button.
> 1. Click the OK (Save) button.Anyone have any other suggestions?

The problem with the () is that whichever platform was "relegated" to the ()
might feel like they were being treated as "lesser".

I'd agree with Harry B. and use the /. I can't come up with a better way off
the top of my head. Typically, I really dislike using /.

Christi Carew
Technical Writer
Sage Instruments
www.sageinst.com