Re: "Team Player" - Please Define?

Subject: Re: "Team Player" - Please Define?
From: Christi Carew <christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:11:42 -0800

>> I am looking at a tech comm job listing that states that the future
>> employee must be a "team player". What is meant by this? Specifics
>> please.

> My belief is that they are looking for someone with the following
> qualifications:

<snipped>
> * Someone who is productive - e.g. can work lots of extra hours
> without complaint

Being productive does not mean that you must work lots of extra hours. Being
a team player does mean that when (on occasion) you have to work extra hours
you don't complain.

> * Someone who won't rock the boat (no compaining about processes
> or policies please)

Being a team player does mean, however, that when processes and policies get
in the way of being productive, you do bring it to the foreground (and to
the attention of the right person). Even better, have an alternative
suggestion. But don't let the process or policy be your crutch and excuse
for nonproductiveness.

Without repeating it here, I would agree with Tom Murrell's description.

Christi Carew
Technical Writer

christi -at- sageinst -dot- com
p. 831-761-6565
f. 831-761-2452

Sage Instruments
240 Airport Blvd.
Freedom, CA 95019
www.sageinst.com

If you can't explain it to an 8-year-old, you don't understand it.
-Albert Einstein