RE: Employment Resources

Subject: RE: Employment Resources
From: "Christian, Peter" <PACf -at- pge -dot- com>
To: "'Tony Rocco'" <tony -at- roundpeg -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 06:56:22 -0800

Based on my experience being hired as a technical writer, there is a dearth
of employees. I still get calls from agencies regarding my resume posted on
www.dice.com, 18 months ago.

One thing that exaggerates the problem is HR. All too often the term "Tech
Writer" is used to describe a job that is simply midway between "Programmer"
and "Clerk". I have often interviewed for a job, only to find that what the
company really needed was very different from what they advertised. In
brief:

1) Check employment agencies: www.sease.com lists over a hundred in the
Silicon Valley area. Virtually all of the technical writers I know work
through an agency.

2) Make sure your job definition is complete, and accurate.

3) Don't insist on software-specific experience. Being willing to work hard,
learn, and have a good attitude is more important than "3 to 5 years
experience with Framemaker".

4) A good resume is important! If the "writer" can't do his or her resume
well, what good will they be on your documentation?

Good luck in your search.

Peter Christian