RE: Good tech writing schools?

Subject: RE: Good tech writing schools?
From: Chuck Martin <CMartin -at- serena -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:15:18 -0800

Not that I'm the least bit biased, of course, because there are now dozens
of certificate and degree programs across the country, but when I got my
degree back in 1993, the Technical Communications program at my school was
one of only three in the entire U.S. that was a full-fledged department, not
"just" a degree available through a Communications or English department.
(You decide if that's important or not.) The TC department is also part of
the College of Engineering, rather than Arts & Sciences; my degree is signed
by the Dean of the College of Engineering. This I think is important, that
tech writing is thought of an as engineering discipline.

The TC department here also offers Masters degrees in Technical
Communication and Technical Japanese (still, as far as I know, the only one
of those anywhere), as is currently developing a Ph.D. program.

Oh yeah, the school is the University of Washington in Seattle. The TC web
site is http://www.uwtc.washington.edu/.

--
Chuck Martin
Sr. Technical Writer, SERENA Software

"People who use business software might despise it, but they are getting
paid to tolerate it....Most people who are paid to use a tool feel
constrained not to complain about that tool, but it doesn't stop them from
feeling frustrated and unhappy about it."
- "The Inmates are Running the Asylum"
Alan Cooper

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.