RE: ADMIN: Re: OT How do I unsubscribe?

From: R Greenberg <roxanne_98 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:52:41 -0800 (PST)

Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com> wrote:

> I think it's interesting how some people turn to
> the manual first, and then use the software;
> while others will just run the software and
> only look at the manual if they get stuck
> (which is what I would use online help for).
>
> I'd be curious as to other people's experience
> with this.

How about someone who prefers to learn directly
from another person? That's the way I learn the
most effectively. When I'm actually sitting down
with someone who is explaining the technology to
me, and allowing me the opportunity to ask
questions as they come up, I find that I learn
faster and better than in any other way. If it's
a hands-on lesson, so much the better. I also do
very well in most classes, especially classes
with labs where I can practice with supervision.

Of course, the assumption I'm making is that the
instructor is a good one - clear, well-paced,
attentive to where the student is coming from.
And I'm comparing that with good documentation.
Obviously, if the documentation or help system is
poor, a good teacher is much better - and vice
versa. The hypothetical situation I'm looking at
is one where all modes of getting information are
of high quality. In that case, I'd still pick the
instructor.

Is this an example of auditory learning style? Or
hands-on (tactile)? Yet somehow, I don't think an
audio tape of instruction would do it for me. And
I find that hands-on lessons with an online
tutoring system or help system are not always
effective. No matter how much the writers try to
anticipate what kinds of issues might come up for
the users, I *always* have questions that are not
answered anywhere in the documentation.

Roxanne
http://im.yahoo.com