RE: Future tense use in technical documentation

Subject: RE: Future tense use in technical documentation
From: iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk (Iain Harrison)
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 19:38 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

> but it *does* display or open an, indeed, *displays*

Sorry to open a branch subject, but "The X dialog is displayed" is fine,
but to say "The X dialog displays" is a bit risque, to say the least.

There is only one meaning for this phrase: it means that the X dialog
shows its genitals in the hope of attracting a mate. I have to admit that
I have never seem a dialog box that exhibits such behaviour, so it is
probably inaccurate as well.

--

Iain

iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk