RE: The Old Argument: Framemaker vs. MS Word

Subject: RE: The Old Argument: Framemaker vs. MS Word
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:18:29 -0800

Good morning,

I continue to be frustrated by the presumption that a PDF file is all one
requires to be Web-friendly. Like it or not, Acrobat's PDFs are a stop-gap
solution that will happily go the way of DOS and GOPHER. The only feature
that makes PDFs more Web-enabled than, say, a FrameMaker document is that
the reader software is free. Posting a PDF on the Internet is a bit like
using a View-Master and calling it a film. The Internet, as we know, is not
8.5" x 11".

The reality is, if you want to generate a number of digital output formats
(HTML, HTMLHelp, WinHelp, PDF, etc.), FrameMaker is not a viable
alternative. DB.