Re: Disabling Print

Subject: Re: Disabling Print
From: "Tom Murrell" <tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:42:38 -0500

I'll be really interested in learning if you can do this, because *I* think
the answer is NO. In fact, I'll be very disappointed if there is a way to
disable my browser's print capability from your intranet server or from your
HTML document.

This is a management request, right? YOU may not be a control freak, but it
sure seems that somebody is.

You want to know WHY people would print from the browser an obviously
inferior copy than order a beautiful one from the Documentation Department?
It's easier. It's quicker. There's less hassle.

You can track your users on the web, you know. You can meet your ISO
requirements while letting your users have convenient access to your
documentation. Send 'em a cookie as part of their access process.

Sorry to be so hard on you, but I don't believe that wishing a thing were so
is sufficient to make it so.

Tom Murrell
----------
>From: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- oee -dot- com>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to disable Print
> from a web browser for a given document?
>
> We create print documents, then 'webify' them
> for our intranet. Apparently people are printing
> them from their web browser, instead of requesting
> a hard-copy from the Documentation Department.
>
> We don't want them to print the web document:
> (a) I'm told that for ISO9000, we need to track
> who gets what document. The Documentation Dept
> does that, but not if someone prints from the intranet.
>
> (b) The web versions are designed for online
> viewing & usually don't print well. Some don't
> print at all via Netscape--which is how we found
> out people are trying to print from the browser.

[SNIP]
> Not that I'm a control freak or anything, but ....
[SNIP]