Re: British English technical variations

Subject: Re: British English technical variations
From: iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk (Iain Harrison)
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:07 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

> First, what differences exist between a British
> keyboard and a standard American one, if any?

There are differences, but I forget the details. I only have British ones
to compare. I think I've identified the major contenders below - you
compare!

> For
> example, is there a £ sign instead of $ sign?

The £ is shift-3 and the $ is shift-4

Along the number row, it goes:
!"£$%^&*()_+
and to the left of the enter key it is
[](unshifted) {} (shifted)
;'# (unshifted) :@~ (shifted)

Remember that the £ is called "pound" and the # is called "hash" (never
"pound") but "hash" is not universally recognised by "non-computerates"

> Second, when consumers use Microsoft products, do they
> buy versions ?translated? into British English: does
> the Program Manager in Windows 3.1 become Programme
> Manager for British consumers?

No. Microsoft terms stick. Even as far as "program" and "disk"
Do spell "colour" properly(!), and try to err on the side of -ise
endings.

> Third, in ?Express setup automatically chooses the
> applications and utilities that will?? does the word
> ?utilities? in context seem clear enough, or does
> ?utilities? need clarification or translation for a
> British reading audience?

I think it's OK, but I'm not sure I really understand the distinction
between applications and utilities. Are applications programs that have
no useful function or real "utility"? ;-)

In general, I suppose that the assumption is that a utility is a little
software gizmo as opposed to a full-blown software product, but why not
say "software that will..." or "software components that will..."?

--

Iain

iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk
iainh -at- cix -dot- co -dot- uk