Re: Typeface Research

Subject: Re: Typeface Research
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 08:26:05 -0600

>I would say you are better off studying typography as a teachable
>art than as a reducible technique.

On this subject, you might try a magazine called "emigre." I haven't seen a
new copy lately, but I've seen past issues hanging around used books
stores.

As a magazine, it's seems sloppy. Every article is typeset with a different
font, and the only design constant seems to be "thou shalt be different."
It's a bit unsettling at first look.

But the idea is to not only talk about type, but to show off various fonts
and techniques, to give you a feel for what works and what doesn't. Once
you get past the concept of consistent magazine design as it's been
hammered into you for years, you'll find it an amazingly good learning
tool.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224