online documentation for web application

Subject: online documentation for web application
From: Kaya Balke <kaya -at- hungryminds-inc -dot- com>
To: "TechWr List (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:22:42 -0800

Hi all,

I need to create online documentation for a web application, and I'm trying
to determine both the best tool to do the job and the best format for the
documentation.

I'm wondering if I can write documentation directly in an HTML text editor,
such as HomeSite, or should I use MS Word (FrameMaker is not in the budget)
and then convert it to HTML? Any problems with using HomeSite to create user
docs that I should be aware of? Also, I'd like to take a look at existing
online documentation to get ideas but haven't been able to find any. Any
suggestions on which sites have online documentation?

Thanks very much,

--kaya