RE: How do you handle revisions for translation?

Subject: RE: How do you handle revisions for translation?
From: Andres Heuberger <andresh -at- fxtrans -dot- com>
To: Kathleen Kuvinka <kkuvinka -at- epicor -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 23:27:24 -0500

Maybe I am missing something here, but why aren't you using translation memories? The way we work with our clients is quite straight-forward (slightly abbreviated here):

1. Translation starts on the source document. Translation memories are used to leverage past translations. If no past translations exist, we create new translation memories.
2. Each new versions/revisions of the source document is compared to the original version. The client receives a Project Change Order that details the required changes (depending on the amount of changes, there may or may not be a charge for the revision). Thanks to the translation memory, work continues (almost) uninterrupted.
3. While the final translation reflects the most recent source document, we retain and archive all of the intermediate source documents in case we need to pinpoint a particular change.

We have found that this process minimizes delays while maintaining traceability. Depending on the level of trust between you and your localization vendor, you may ask for more or less supporting "evidence" for Project Change Orders.

Regards,
Andres

At 04:05 PM 1/11/00 -0800, Kathleen Kuvinka wrote:

No offense, but I started to do this and it drove me nuts!

Since the translators are using the same tool (FM) we insist that they do
the comparison. Someone (Bill?) mentioned that FM only produces a summary,
but it is capable of doing a composite doc as well.

Andres Heuberger mailto:andresh -at- fxtrans -dot- com
ForeignExchange Translations, Inc.
Web globalization * Software localization * technical translatation
Tel. 888.454.0787 http://www.fxtrans.com