RE: How do you handle revisions for translation?

Subject: RE: How do you handle revisions for translation?
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- intl -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:20:55 -0700

Krista writes:

> We keep track of changes by listing them, but this is very broad, so it
> might say something like "Updated installation procedure" rather than
> itemizing each change within the installation procedure.

I always keep a copy of the original handy, then I use Word's document
comparison feature to heighlight the location of the changes in the
file. I prefer this to using the revision tracking because I hate my working
files getting all messy. Word also picks up on formatting changes that
aren't also made in the template. This way, we can distinguish between
formatting changes that are made locally as opposed to those that affect the
global style sheet (and, hence, don't have to be repeated). I've even used
Word to compare HTML docs, and it seems to work for capturing the locations
of changes. This isn't a very sophisticated way of doing it, but whatever
works in a pinch, eh?

This method works well for Word, but Frame's feature is more like a report
on the changes. We tend not to use Frame's comparison feature and instead
use conditional text to mark revised, deleted, and new text.

Bill Burns - Eccentric Technology Consultant
INT'L.com Design & Development
billdb -at- intl -dot- com
Y2K Complacent