Re: on-line degrees

Subject: Re: on-line degrees
From: BlaineBachman -at- bia -dot- gov
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 07:24:52 -0700

Perhaps my experience is atypical...

In dozens of interviews, I have never been asked a pertinent question about
my degrees - the closest anyone got was in asking a general question about
Webster University (where I earned my Masters - it's in St Louis with
satellite campuses at many AF Bases).

I suggest that on-line learning is so new to most people, it will be years
before most interviewers will think to differentiate between it and
classroom courses. And if your on-line experience is through a
"traditional" college or university - especially one well known like USU -
it's even less likely to raise any red flags.

Finally, many companies use distance learning to help save company time and
money while still providing required training and off-duty education
benefits to their employees. If such a company were to look askance at a
distance learning degree, be wary.

-Blaine
(considering its potential worth, all advice offered free of charge)