Re: Word numbering problem (join the club)

Subject: Re: Word numbering problem (join the club)
From: "Alex Silbajoris" <alsilba -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 06:12:47 PST

I had a similar problem, and I eventually found a fix in the style definition - it is better to set indents and numbering there instead of in the format>paragraph or >numbering areas, which can send instructions that conflict with the style definition. You need to go to the outline numbered dialog, and select the More option. You can set the levels and renumbering there. The preview window will show you how you have it, as you try different settings. I haven't mastered it enough to tell you the correct fix, but I at least did get it to work on some templates. Now that I'm actually starting to make documents from them, they're working well enough.

Some say numbering just doesn't work in some versions of Word. They may be right. Consider the possibility of not even using the feature. I hate to say that because it sounds like I'm telling you to dumb down your document, but hey, if the tool can't do it, get another or change the plan.

- A