Re: Discouraging supervisor from tangential assignment?

Subject: Re: Discouraging supervisor from tangential assignment?
From: wlewis -at- nclogic -dot- com (Wendy Lewis)
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:52:06 -0500

The only thing that burns me about doing assignments for a different
department, is when they don't bother to ask. I get the secretary or other
employees of these departments handing me things to edit with a curt "I was
told to give this to you". What am I supposed to do with it? "I don't know,
check it I guess."

In a large percentage of these cases the document has been close to a
hundred pages long and I spend a month on major rewrites and going back and
forth between developers and marketing people to get the technical accuracy
with the marketing spin, while trying to educate the secretary on things
that I think she could have caught.

When I tell my boss what I'm doing, he says 'Oh'. We are a small company and
everyone helps where they can. I don't mind doing it, and my deadlines are a
couple months out, so I'm not crazy yet, I just wish they would ask me or my
boss.

And, I know your going to say "Tell the secretary to have her boss ask
yours." I will next time.

Hoping for power outages,
Wen.