RE: Acronym Lists????

Subject: RE: Acronym Lists????
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 15:53:37 -0500

Interesting question. I read your comment and thought, "Everybody knows the
abbreviation for Management is MNGT." But then I asked myself how *I* knew
that. After checking some online references I realized that there are at
least two kinds of sources: general English language (dictionaries,
thesauruses, etc.), and industry-specific sources.

I don't know that you'll find one definitive source; the English language
isn't like that, much as we might wish otherwise.

BTW (and there are several online acronym lists just for web-inspired
abbreviations and acronyms), my Webster's Third International Dictionary
says the abbreviation for Management is MGT.

Probably the thing to do is develop a house style and a house reference so
that the abbreviations and acronyms you use are those that will be
understood by your specific audience. General references will help some, as
will some industry specific ones, but beware, there are some conflicts
between sources. You'll end up having to make choices regardless of how you
proceed.

FWIW, the online source I generally go to first is
http://www.pcwebopedia.com

Tom Murrell