RE: Terminology help needed!

Subject: RE: Terminology help needed!
From: Lane Pasut <Larissa -dot- Pasut -at- OmegaResearch -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:57:36 -0500

I don't like the term tool tip because it implies a tip for a tool or
toolbar button. We have similar boxes, but they appear for stock price data
charted in the window so we call them 'data tips', which is appropriate. I
would stick to 'something tip' rather than use the word help in the term;
people just don't like anything that resembles help..! Just replace the word
something with a word that describes the item for which you're getting the
tip.

HTH,

Lane Pasut
User Education
Omega Research, Inc.

From: Beth Kane [SMTP:bethkane -at- tcisolutions -dot- com]

<snip>
I'd like to make sure we're using the correct term to refer to a feature in
our interface.
Our applications have lots of "hover help," wherein holding your cursor over
something causes a line of text to appear in a rectangular box, explaining
that item. This help text disappears within about 3 seconds.

<snip>