Re: Ladies and gentlemen, I... er...

Subject: Re: Ladies and gentlemen, I... er...
From: Brian Martin <martin -at- sodalia -dot- it>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:52:40 +0100

Tom Murrell was on the mark to point out "It is incumbent on the boss to
answer these questions, and it is incumbent on you to make sure the boss
does answer these questions."

Your real job--if you haven't figured it out already--is to make your
boss look good. This makes you look even better. Secondly, your job is
to make good documentation. In a career sense, this is not a joke. So
learn the ropes well.

In terms of the presentation, I recently made a presentation of how the
technical writer fits into the basic phases of software manufacturing:
Design, Develop, Deliver. Help people to understand when and how to work
with you. Let them know the input and output. Show them what you can do
to help them and the overall effort.

Most of all help them understand that your work is an integral part of
the software product.

Brian