Re: Baseline Skillset for Technical Writers?

Subject: Re: Baseline Skillset for Technical Writers?
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:15:26 -0800

I know. I worked with a writer recently who kept referring to his computer,
the programs he was using, the network, the Internet, and the program he was
writing for as "the system". It was really fun when things went wrong and he
tried to describe it so we could solve his problem.

My point here is that is isn't enough to know how to write. It is also not
enough to know how to take the computer apart. But both are necessary to do
a good job. How can we tell people about technology if we don't understand
that basics of using it ourselves? How can we know what is important to tell
them about and what isn't when it is all a wonderful and exciting machine
that we have no idea how to use effectively? We waste 15 pages describing in
detail how to install using the Wizard and forget to tell the user about the
really important stuff. Like the stuff they need to do every day?

My thoughts on a lovely afternoon in sunny southern Cal.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
President of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org
Anthrobytes Consulting
www.anthrobytes.com
Check out www.WinHelp.net!