Re: XML in documentation

Subject: Re: XML in documentation
From: edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "Techwhirl Reader" <techwhirl -at- mail -dot- technicalcommunication -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:22:08 -0500

While I don't know if I can help you directly with your questions, I did notice
one thing that you should clear up.
XML is perfectly valid SGML. XML is a subset of SGML.
In fact one of the widest misconceptions is that XML is easier than SGML due to
the size of the standard documentation. Most forget to realise that the XML
standard is really an appendix to the SGML standard.
The difference in XML and SGML, is that following the XML standard allows you to
create structured information without having to validate it with a DTD. However
an XML instance complete with a DTD is in fact perfectly vaild SGML. It doesn't
necessarily change the project a great deal to make an SGML DTD, XML compliant.

Eric L. Dunn