Training materials and audience

Subject: Training materials and audience
From: cdavidso -at- ionline -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:58:19 -0500

Speaking of writing for a diverse audience, I'm preparing materials for
in-house training on enhancements to our business software that are due
to be implemented beginning in January.

We have identified about four different groups of users who differ both
by level of familiarity with the existing system (expert to novice) and
by the types of tasks each are required to perform. However, due to
limited time and resources, we're attempting to create a single training
document for everyone.

Do you have any suggestions about how to segregate information for each
of these groups? For example, I have a section called "Objectives",
which lists what the reader will be able to do by the end of the
training session. However, not everyone will be trained on all of these
tasks: their positions don't require it, and in many cases there user
profiles don't give them the authority. Similarly, the "Benefits" to
users will also vary.

The job is complicated by my lack of experience and by the fact that we
don't yet know whether we'll have any kind of training bed, whether the
training will be hands-on, a demo by the trainer, or based solely on
screen prints and overheads.

I'd appreciate any help and advice you can offer. I can provide more
details offline if any of you have time to discuss this. I'd especially
like to hear from anyone who has prepared training materials in the past
and who can advise me on what to include and what to leave out.

Thanks!
Carolyn
Sent with ZotMail - http://www.zotmail.com